Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shrimp Boats and Shrimp Bisque

If you've spent any time on Hammock Tracks you know that I love to take pictures of feminine and pretty things.  My eyes also enjoy taking in the not so pretty but definitely attractive-in-their-own-way things, too.  I've discussed how I love barns and even mushrooms.  The kids know that the car will come to a screeching halt if I spy an old barn and more than one nature trail has been slowed while I snap photos of fungus.

Shrimp boats are another thing I find to be beautiful, in their own beat up, rusted and rustic way.  Today after church we passed two and Miss Emilee became the focus of my attention.  What I cannot fully describe is the fishy and musty odor that is a part of her wood frame.


Some of her wood may need paint, the door to the captains seat was hanging by one hinge and her anchor is quite rusted, but her bow proudly pointed out to where a blue sky and waterway met.  These colors seemed to mimic the ones that were painted on her side, in a handsome dual colored stripe.



I've never worked on one of these shrimp boats but Bloodhound has.  It is hard work and I am sure that the men who make a living brining shrimp up to the surface, and eventually our dinner table, with these nets would think that I was a delirious romantic, if they read this post.  


But I cannot help it...I love them...A/C in the window, and all.


I also love to eat shrimp.  My favorite way to enjoy them is in a low country boil.  Bloodhound is convinced that he could eat his weight in shrimp, and still want more.  I think he could be right.  During a period of time that we were living in New Orleans he got in the habit of ordering a 12" shrimp po-boy every day for lunch.  You don't have to be a dietician to know that this added up to a lot of calories.  Forty pounds and two pants sizes later, he decided he should go on a diet.  He had a protein shake for lunch and ate dinner at home.  After he had lost the weight he decided that he should treat himself and drove to his favorite place for lunch, in order to feast on a shrimp po-boy.  Much to his dismay they had gone out of business.  We still joke that his diet put them under.  


Here is another favorite shrimp recipe:



Shrimp Bisque
(printer friendly version)

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
1 pound pre-cooked shrimp
1/2 cup white wine
In a large saucepan, melt butter over a low heat. Stir in flour, salt, white pepper, bouillon granules, and onion. Blend 3/4 cup half-and-half cream into the mixture. Mix in shrimp and crab meat. Turn the temperature to medium heat and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
Blend the remaining half-and-half cream and wine into the mixture. Serve and enjoy!

You will win points with you family when you make this.  And if you want to add shrimp you can reduce the crab to 1/2 lb and use 1/2 lb of shrimp.



This post is linked here:
Unknown Mami
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...