Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Top Ten Horror Stories



Tonight I began reading the intriguing thriller by Ray Bardbury, "Something Wicked this Way Comes," and it got me to thinking about how many horror stories I've read.  I thought I would share that list here, and allow you the opportunity to add your own favorites.


I read these when I was young and they had an impact on my thinking...


The Tell Tale Heart by Poe
The Monkey's Paw by WW Jacobs
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Irving Washington

I could relate to "The Tell-Tale Heart" as I remember doing something wrong and when a parent came close to making the discovery my heart seemed to pound through my chest.  The other two just spooked me and for days every scratch or bump in the night, set my heart to pounding.


I read these two in high school and they upset my peace of mind because I figured that since they weren't new stories, maybe there was some merit to them.


Dracula Bram Soker
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury


And these I read as an adult.  They sent a thrill down my spine and made me wonder when I would sleep through the night again.


Lightning by Dean Koontz
Watchers by Dean Koontz
Interview With a Vampire by Anne Rice
Lasher by Anne Rice
Carrie by Stephen King


What about you?  What are your top ten favorite horror stories?
This post is linked at Oh Amanda.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...