Thursday, October 6, 2011

Halloween Masks and Shopping After Holiday Clearance Sales

As much as I like decorating my house for the holidays, I refuse to buy the festive goodies before a holiday.  They are so overpriced and usually quite flimsy.  I am known to clean up clearance sales, though.  One year in early January I bought a little over $1000 worth of Christmas decorations, wrapping paper and four artificial trees for $100.  I timed my clearance check at Target really well and they were just marking everything 90% off.

Last year I strolled into the same Target after Halloween and found another 90% mark down.  Only this time the discount was on costumes and decorations.  Since I cannot sew or make costumes look very realistic, a costume sale is a real find!  I can skip buying Christmas decorations but the kids have to get Halloween costumes.  At a minimum of $20 a piece it really chafes me to spend that.  So, I was elated when I purchased three star wars costumes, a unicorn costume, three pair of Halloween socks, three Halloween t-shirts, two mask kits, and three dog costumes for $34!  

For the record...normally the dogs would just have to wear their birthday suits.  

As Halloween approached and the kids began discussing what they were going to be this year, I thought of my stash in the attic.  On the 1st of this month we pulled down the boxes and decorated the house.  The mask kit was a big hit, although, not at all worth it's original price of $10.

It was a great $1 activity, though.

This is Trankenstein as my wee one calls it.



And the boy says he thinks this looks like a Native American ghost.



I'm not sure if I will luck out and hit another after Halloween Clearance, but I'll be looking for one.  What about you?  Do you shop after the holidays?  What is your best clearance find?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...